Government bans evictions & give more protection for renters
In response to the financial impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Government has announced a package of protections for renters and landlords.
- Emergency legislation to suspend new evictions from social or private rented accommodation while this national emergency is taking place
- No new possession proceedings through applications to the court to start during the crisis
- Landlords will also be protected as 3 month mortgage payment holiday is extended to Buy to Let mortgages
As a result of these measures, I’m confident that no renters in private or social accommodation need to be concerned about the threat of eviction.
Recognising the additional pressures the virus may put on landlords, the Government has also confirmed that the three-month mortgage payment holiday announced previously will be extended to landlords whose tenants are experiencing financial difficulties due to the virus. This will alleviate the pressure on landlords, who will be concerned about meeting mortgage payments themselves and will mean no unnecessary pressure is put on their tenants as a result.
At the end of this period, landlords and tenants will be expected to work together to establish an affordable repayment plan, taking into account tenants’ individual circumstances.
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick MP said:
The government is clear – no renter who has lost income due to coronavirus will be forced out of their home, nor will any landlord face unmanageable debts.
Last updated 18th March – detailed information will be posted as it is announced.
Latest COVID-19 News
- Jamie Wallis welcomes measures to boost tourism and hospitality businesses across BridgendVAT to be cut for six months for all businesses in the hospitality, accommodation and attractions industries, including up to 360 in Bridgend Public urged… Read More »For Renters
- JAMIE WALLIS MP WELCOMES CHANCELLOR’S PLAN FOR JOBS IN BRIDGEND· Chancellor launches Plan for Jobs – supporting, creating and protecting jobs across the country as we emerge from the coronavirus outbreak. · More than… Read More »For Renters
- Calls for schools in Wales to properly reopen in SeptemberBridgend MP, Jamie Wallis, has called on the Welsh Government to provide more clarity on schools reopening in September. The call comes after other parts… Read More »For Renters
- UK Government £1.57bn support for arts welcomed by Bridgend MPBRIDGEND MP Jamie Wallis has welcomed news that theatres, art galleries and museums in Wales are to get £59 million from the UK Government. Jamie… Read More »For Renters
- Welcome news for families and businesses as 5-mile rule is scrappedBridgend MP, Jamie Wallis, has welcomed the news that the Welsh Government’s 5-mile travel restriction has been scrapped as of today. This comes as the… Read More »For Renters