I welcome the UK Government’s announcement of new sanctions on Russia, in response to their unprovoked, premeditated attack on Ukraine:
- All major Russian banks including VTB Bank will have their assets frozen and will be excluded from the UK financial system.
- Legislation will be put forward to stop major Russian companies and the state from raising finance or borrowing money on UK markets.
- Asset freezes will be put on 100 new individuals or entities.
- The Aeroflot airline will be banned from landing in the UK.
- There will be a suspension of dual-use export licenses to cover things that can be used for military purposes.
- The UK will stop exports of hi-tech items and oil refinery equipment.
When the sovereign freedom of a democratic nation is threatened, democracy everywhere is challenged. We stand with the people of Ukraine at this difficult time